Pageviews last month

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

"On This Day in American History"


On November 12, 1954, Ellis Island, an entry point for millions of immigrants, closes. Opened in 1892, some 12 million people were processed through the island, and some estimate 40 percent of Americans can trace family members who came through Ellis Island. The first immigrant to be processed there was 15-year-old Annie Moore from Ireland. The busiest year for Ellis Island was 1907 when an estimated 1 million people entered the United States. After the 1924 Immigration Act, which sharply reduced the number of immigrants allowed into the country, the site did not process immigrants but rather served as a Coast Guard training center, hospital for wounded World War II soldiers and a detention center for illegal aliens..

My Grandparents came through Ellis Island from Italy..... I remember the stories they told me about the trip across the ocean.. Later on I also remember when they walked into the house after becoming Citizens... The smiles, the happiness but most of all I remember the Raviolis she made for the all those wonderful holidays we had.. Those are my treasures I have today...  







No comments: