Pageviews last month

Thursday, June 7, 2012

"Never Cry Wolf"

The other day I sent a text message to what I thought was good friend that I haven't seen or heard from in a long time. This is the response I got a few minutes later.....The message said and I kid you not....Joan (not her real name) has died of a drug overdose....Needless to say when I read that I was in shock....I immediately called her cell phone and after twenty rings she answered...I recognized her voice and I said, "What are you doing"? "Why are you doing this"? Why would you say something like that? She replied, "Hi who is this? This is Joan's sister, Joan has died". I said, raising my voice this time, "No, this is not Joan's sister, its you, why are doing this"??.. You would be surprise of the different emotions that happen to you when something like this happens. Wait a minute I thought, I was confused.... it could be her sister. I thought I recognized her voice but what if it wasn't? I couldn't think of anything to say and I was angry. I didn't know whether to believe her or not. I didn't want to believe it but what if?......It sounded like her but the voice on the phone said it wasn't her. The voice said we are going through a bad time here who is this?...Still in shock and not believing her I hung up....I refused to believe her...I did think about it and after a while I said to myself it could be, what if, I thought and then I accepted it and I did believe who I thought was Joan's sister...I knew she had a sister, we had met at a 4th of July picnic a few years ago...Yet, I knew this woman was capable of a lot of things but faking her death is a whole other thing...I suppose there is a first time for everything...My first emotion was to not believe it. Then I thought what if? Then sadness...By then it was 11:30 and I called the number again. It went into voice mail and I hung up and went to bed and tried to sleep. It wasn't easy but I finally fell asleep. The next morning I thought, wait a minute there is something fishy going on here...Who would send a text message to announce someones death? It isn't likely that anyone would do that but wait just a minute...I called her number again later that morning and she answered. At first she denied it but after a while admitted it was her...I know it sounds like the classic cry for help...No diagnoses here or explanations. Later I called a friend of hers and suggested she keep an eye on her...I was angry but I was reminded of the story my Dad told me many years ago about "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"..... 
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Boy_Who_Cried_Wolf



No comments: